MUNICH - FREIMANN-DYCKENHOFF AND WIDMANN
The company Dyckerhoff and Widmann, founded in Karlsruhe in 1865, opened an office for the production of concrete in Munich. During the Second World War, it was an important concrete producer for the war industry. Among other things, the construction of two aircraft halls was started at Munich-Riem in 1938, and 9,000 square meter of shale fencing were built for the BMW facilities in Munich-Allach in 1940/41. In Munich-Freimann, the company Dyckerhoff and Widmann erected barracks about 500 meters next to the SS garrison at Ingolstädterstrasse 93, for the contract of the expansion to the existing barracks. From September 9, 1942, 25 Polish, Czech, German and Yugoslavian prisoners from KZ-Dachau were deployed on this construction site. Four weeks later the commando was increased by a further ten inmates.
The prisoners had to work up to twelve hours a day and were driven on by the SS crew to peak performances. They were also abused for minor offenses. There was no medical treatment from the consequences of occupational accidents and torments. On Sundays, the prisoners were used for maintenance work within the garrison.
The prisoners were accommodated within the SS garrison spread over several rooms with barred windows. Armed SS guards were posted in front of their accommodation. The prisoners were not allowed to move freely within this area.
The sub-camp's guards consisted of a commanding officer and a few SS members from the Dachau concentration camp. During the work, the prisoners were accompanied by SS guards from the garrison. Names of SS-members from this sub-camp are not known. Among the prisoners, there were three Kapos, Karl Rapp, Erwin Görlich and David Feigl.
When the construction work was completed, the sub-camp was disbanded and 24 prisoners returned to the KZ-Dachau on the 10th December 1942.
(During World War II Dyckerhoff & Widmann used slave labour from Camp No. 36 at the new sub-camp of Auschwitz III called "Arbeitslager Blechhammer". Most of these would die in 1945 during the death marches and finally in Buchenwald.sic)
Author German Text: Sabine Schalm
MUNICH-FREIMANN: REICH RAILWAY MAINTENANCE PLANT
Since 1927, the German Reichsbahn operated a repair shop at Frankplatz 19 in Munich-Freimann to maintain electric traction locomotives. In addition, the entire freight car repairs were carried out here. According to the International Search Service in Arolsen, the sub-camp Reichsbahn Maintenance Plant-Freimann existed from 28 March to 19 April 1945. But already during 1943 prisoners from the KZ-Dachau worked in the Maintenance shop. Information on the prisoner's strength varies between 20 and 1,200. The prisoners were used for the repair and maintenance of locomotives. They did not live on the premises, but were taken daily by train from Dachau to Freimann, and returned to the KZ after a twelve hour shift. The guard teams were composed mainly of ethnic German SS members (Volksdeutsche). 30 SS posts had been transferred from the sub-camp Gusen of the KZ-Mauthausen to this commando. The commandant is unknown by name. In 1944 the Polish prisoner Gustav Tillmann was appointed as Kapo. From the Central Office of the Landeskustizverwaltung (District Justice Department) during 1973 initiated investigations, which were discontinued 1974. The site is still used as the Maintenance Plant for the German Federal Railroad.
Author German Text: Sabine Schalm
MUNICH - FREIMANN, SS-LOCAL ADMINISTRATION
From the 19th November 1941 there were in the local SS-Administration Building at Ingolstädterstrasse 193 in Munich-Freimann, 27 prisoners used in the sub-camp within the administration building. The first prisoners were 'Protective Custody Prisoners' (Schuzhaft Häftlinge), the majority came from Poland, some from the German Reich and Czechoslovakia. The composition of the inmates changed several times over the following years, but strength wise, it remained the same.
The prisoners had to carry out various activities in the garrison area, such as carpentry and re-roofing, dig wells, mainly remove debris and clean up their assigned area. Four of them worked in the cauldron of the barracks. , Several times, the prisoners went to Munich to pick up clean laundry for the SS members, or to make other errands. On the weekend they had to clean the accommodation of their SS guards. After ten or twelve hours of work, the prisoners were locked up into several rooms on the third floor of a house inside the garrison. 1944 parts of the SS-barracks were destroyed in an air attack and from then on the prisoners had to be kept in a garage.
While in the sub camp Richard Gerlich from Breslau was made Kapo. There were no other detainees that became functionaries.
The first commander-in-chief, was SS-Scharführer Ernst Wicklein. In February 1943 followed, SS Hauptscharführer Josef Neuner, and in June 1943 SS Hauptscharführer Josef Remmele. The SS-Hauptscharführer Johann Reiss was Commanding Officer from July 1943 to January 1945 in the sub camp, the last commanding officer is unknown. Furthermore, SS-Guards were used to guard the prisoner within the barracks. The main reason for this is that the prisoners had been able to carry out various activities in the garrison area, mainly clean up debris on the ground and in general keep the place tidy. Several times, the prisoners went to Munich proper to pick up clean laundry for the SS members, or to make other errands. On the weekend they had to clean the living quarters of their sixteen SS guards (a rather high ratio to guard 27 low risk inmates,sic), these were mainly ethnic Germans from Rumania.
Reports from survivors testify to abuse by the commandant Johann Reiss. In the summer of 1943 a Russian prisoner was hanged in the barracks because he had stolen food in the cellar. The working commando had to go to watch the execution and one of the prisoners was forced to put the sling around the neck of the condemned and then push the chair away. The corpse was rearranged and sent to the KZ-Dachau.
Typical hanging at Landsberg am Lech
In the third week of April 1945, the prisoners walked on foot to their Stammlager Dachau and from there on to the evacuation march southward.
The former commandant, Josef Neuner, was sentenced to death in the Dachau trials and hanged in Landsberg. The American military court imposed a five-year prison term on Johann Reiss.
In 1973 the central office of the Landesjustizverwaltung in Ludwigsburg initiated an investigation procedure about crimes in the sub-camp Munich-Freimann, the proceedings against Johann Reiss because of suspicion in killings at the sub-camp, yet it was was stopped 1976, as no substance of deaths could be proven. Today the barracks are used by the Bundeswehr.
MUNICH - MOOSACH, CHEMICAL FACTORY
In 1903, Dr. Anselm Kahn and Dipl. Ing. Franz Witmann acquired the Chemical Factory Otto Bärlocher, founded in Augsburg in 1864. They moved the factory seat together with production lines to Munich. Especially after the First World War, they expanded their product range and produced sulfuric acid and ammonia, artificial fertilizer, shoe polish and detergents. In 1938, the chemical plants were aryanized to Franz Wittmann by the forced sale of the business shares by the Jewish owners. During the war, the production of industrial coal-fired lighters, of which the main customer was the German Reichsbahn, this ensured the existence of the Chenische Werke GnbH Otto Bärlocher.
At this sub-camp at Siemensstrasse 16, between 1 November 1944 and 14 April 1945, about 26 to 32 prisoners were deployed. Today the Siemensstrasse has disappeared from the map. It originally started in Munich-Moosach from the Manteuffelstrasse over the Gärtnerstrasse to the Polkovenstrasse .Survivors are not aware of any reports about this sub-camp Chemical Factory. The International Search Service in Arolsen also has no transport or transfer lists from Stammlager Dachau to this camp available.
Author German Texts: Sabine Schelm
[The company group Baerlocher has 13 production sites worldwide. Research and development are headquartered near Munich, France, Italy, the USA and India. Overall, Baerlocher is represented in more than 40 countries.
In 1947, Dr. Christian Rosenthal took over the Otto Baerlocher Chemical Company founded in 1823. From 1980 to 2004 the family business was managed by Dr. Michael Rosenthal. In 1998 the move followed from Munich to the surrounding area, to Unterschleißheim. So that international trading partners do not stumble on the "ä" in the company name: The change of name was made inti Baerlocher.
In 1998, the Rosenthal family was, so to speak, a monument to the 175-year anniversary of the company. The Kunststoff-Additivmuseum was opened by means of a foundation at the production site in Lingen. A museum to touch. Documentation and industrial history of the additives, including the associated plastics. Also extensive discussion about the critical substance of PVC as well as its recycling possibilities. sic]
MUNICH - OBERFÖHRING
The sub-camp Oberföhring was mentioned for the first time on April 1, 1944, by the International Search Service Arolsen. A former inmate remembers that in the autumn of 1944 he and six other prisoners were transferred from the sub-camp Sudelfeld to Oberföhring. Official employer was the construction management of the Waffen-SS and the police. The task of the prisoners to be performed consisted in cooking and cleaning up as orderlies for SS members and officers of the Wehrmacht, who were billeted in a villa. The exact location of the sub-camp is unknown.
According to a report by the KZ-Dachau, there were still five prisoners in the sub-camp as at 3 April 1945. These had been interspersed in a room of the villa and were guarded in an adjoining room by an SS-Watchman. In this camp, besides Germans and Poles, Russians, Frenchmen and Belgians, as well as at least three Austrians, who, on account of their faith as pacifists had been retained under the Protection Law (Schutzhaft) at KZ-Dachau being members of the religious community of Jehovah's Witnesses.
The food of the prisoners was delivered by the KZ-Dachau and prepared by the prisoner cook Kurt Rupelius.
At the end of April 1945, a truck took the prisoners back to the main camp (Stammlager), from where they were heading south with an evacuation march.
Author German Text: Sabine Schelm
Wikipedia - Scrapbook Pages Blog
Der Ort des Terrors, Pages 437 -
Vol 2 C.H.Beck, München 2005
Translated from German by:Design: email@example.com Continued under Part 19
Stolpmann,Herbert Karl Walter
Stolpmann,Herbert Karl Walter